Welcome to the CIT Advanced Diploma Participants
Cheers Kerry :-)
Communities of Practice Online (CoPo)
Networking and the National Training System by John Mitchell and Susan Young (Reframing the Future Project Core Ideas report 2002)
Effectively Structuring Communities of Practice in VET by John Mitchell March 2003 (Reframing the Future project report 2003).
Learning Communities for Social Change in Forums on the Web by Janet Burstall. Adult Learning Australia, July 2000.
Learning Around Town: Learning Communities in Australia by Liz Henderson, Rachel Castles, Majella McGrath and Tony Brown. Adult Learning Australia October 2000.
- using warm words such as ending with 'warmest regards' and 'good morning wonderful people'
- using emotive icons eg. :)
- encourage learners to contact the facilatator one to one if they need help
- mediate early if there is any negative emotion
- using photos
- use personal antedotes
- make sure you as a faciliator respond in a timely manner ie don't leave the student hanging
- keep the groups small
- students feel more comfortable if the learning platform has spellcheck
- send out private email or private call every now and then to keep in touch
- send out weekly email as a review of previous week or information on the coming week
- ensure the technology and learning management tool is easy to use for example the discussion forums should have a 'compile' or 'collect' function
- make postings interesting by using colour
- start a seperate 'coffee club' area for students to communicate socially
- KISS Keep it simple sunshine!
- inform the students of correct netiquette
- provide tool links to time management, study, writing tips, tutorials
It is interesting to note that much of the above information I gathered not from the actual course material but rather the very interesting discussions which Carol facilitated in the discussion forums! Other students who participated in these discussions included
Georgio Agosst - ABB
Marguerite Wells - Cornel University
Sandra Larwill - Ontario University
John Toews - University of Calgary